On June 5, 1923 the Meredith community came together to have their first meeting to discuss the public health needs of the area.
On July 31, 1923 Meredith Public Health Association (MPHA) became incorporated.
In October 1923 Miss Marion Thompson was hired as the first nurse. Thompson spent 2 hours per day in the school. Regular home visits by the nurse were 50 to 75 cents. All other visits were $1.00 to $2.00. If the nurse did surgical assisting, the cost was $1.00 to $3.00. Obstetrical costs were $1.00 to $3.00.
In 1930 the agency purchased a car from Ford for $225.
In 1937 the first telephone bill was paid by the agency and the school.
In 1940 the nurse provided transportation for patients to and from the hospital, doctor’s office, clinics etc.
In 1941 the agency had a request from Met Life Insurance to see patients in Center Harbor.
In 1946 the Board of Directors began meeting quarterly.
The last home birth delivery was made in 1947.
In 1950 the car purchased back in 1930 was sold, and nurses were reimbursed for the mileage at .08 per mile.
In 1961 the Board of Directors began meeting monthly.
In May through September of 1966, the Board of Directors started discussing the potential of Medicare benefits for home care service. There was a special meeting in December 1966 to notify the Town of Meredith that the agency would probably become involved.
In 1967 Physical Therapy was added as a provided service. A Secretary/Bookkeeper was also added to the staff.
In 1969 the agency became Medicare-approved to provide home care service and the ability to bill Medicare for the care.
By 1977 there were two Registered Nurses, one HHA, a Physical Therapist, and an Occupational Therapist on staff.
The 1980s - 2000s
Through the 1980’s and 1990’s home care was reimbursed on a pay-per-visit basis; MPHA provided service to Meredith and Center Harbor residents only.
By the year 2000 Medicare changed the reimbursement system to Prospective Payment System which meant service is paid by an episode of care and no longer per visit.
In 2011 the agency moved to its present location at 186 Waukewan Street and the name was changed to the Visiting Nurses of Meredith and Center Harbor (VNMCH). Service was also extended to Laconia and Gilford residents on a case-by-case basis.
By the end of 2013 there was a significant change as the Moultonborough Selectmen decided to close their VNS department secondary to increasing regulatory demands to provide home care. The VNMCH agreed to provide home care to Moultonborough residents and once again changed their name to Lakes Region Visiting Nurse Association (LRVNA).
Over the next few years, LRVNA began receiving requests for service in Sandwich, Tuftonboro, and Wolfeboro and therefore expanded the territory they cover.
By 2018, LRVNA saw a need to expand the service provided by the agency into Hospice Care.